Sitting


I am deeply intrigued by the story of Martha and Mary, sisters to the Biblically famous and dead, then alive Lazarus and close friends of Jesus.

I know most of you might not find the Bible intriguing or relevant. And many of my readers are not Christians. But never mind: this story is the most relevant story to my own womanhood.  I feel it is cuts right to the very core of being a modern mother, woman, wife, jacqueline-of-all-trades.

I've written about it before; here is the excerpt straight from Bible:


Luke 10:38-42
New International Version (NIV)
At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I struggle with this story. I am distracted by many things: the humidity, the vile squirrels in my bird feeder, the messy house, Lily's homework, politics, church committees, my high risk pregnancy and the shiny object jammed in the small spot between the radiator and the wall.

And it is all leading me to a nervous breakdown.

I've been here before. When I worked full-time, in an office and had Lily. I hated my job: it was distracting and stressful and felt like it served no purpose. I dreamt of having a simple life, perhaps working at Starbucks or the Gap. A life where the only purpose was to get a paycheck and then go home and take a nap. Or something.

Now, everything has a purpose--my home should be clean and nice so it can be comfortable. Homework is important because it is part of my daughter's education. Politics are a joy; and incredibly important--the leader of our country is critical to our happiness. And church, well serving at church is where I serve Christ and this, this is like sitting at Christ's feet, isn't it?

But it isn't. Sitting at Christ's feet is literal. It is dropping it all and going low, while looking high. It is enough to sit.

It takes a lot of courage to simply do nothing. To do nothing is to protest in the face of society: she is not volunteering? she is not going to make a deadline? she is not reading 20 minutes to her kid tonight? she is not doing laundry? she is canceling?

And yes, maybe she is. Maybe I am. Maybe I just need to sit.


You might also like: 

She did what she could
http://2yoke.blogspot.com/2012/03/she-did-what-she-could.html

Comments

Post a Comment